WELCOME TO MAKING MILESTONES
Making Milestones SA provides assessment and therapy that is individualised to support our client’s speech, language and communication development.
Our passionate Senior Speech Pathologist, Ursula Portolesi will integrate her expertise and develop tailored programs and individual goals to ensure all speech and language needs are met successfully.
Ursula Portolesi is the Founder and Principal Speech Pathologist of Making Milestones. With a multi-disciplinary approach, Ursula highly values supporting children and adults and integrating her expertise to ensure individual success.
With a Bachelor of Speech Pathology at Flinders University of South Australia and years of experience under her belt, Ursula knows that no two individuals are the same and aims to create unique and personalised therapy programs for her clients.
Ursula’s vision is to develop clients’ self-confidence and provide an opportunity to transform their attitudes, behaviours and skill-set. She also believes the development of flexible oral motor and language skills is the critical element in maximising her client’s social, emotional and learning potential.
As a busy mum-of-two, Ursula understands the need to integrate practical ways to guide therapy at home. By setting clear goals and creating engaging sessions to match her client’s interests, Ursula knows this is the key to success in building confidence with speech and language.
Ursula is a dedicated practitioner who continually invests in ongoing professional development to ensure that her skills are always current and utilising the best evidence-based programs available.
Ursula has training in the following areas:
- Hanen It Takes Two to Talk Program and Hanen More Than Words Program – designed specifically for parents of young children (birth to five years of age) who have been identified as having a language delay
- Davis Dyslexia Correction – teaching strategies that enable successful learning for people living with dyslexia
- Key Word Sign – is the use of manual signs and natural hand gestures to support communication and encourage and support language development in children and adults with communication difficulties
- PODD (Pragmatically Organized Dynamic Display) – Alternative communication access for non-verbal children
- Smooth Speech Techniques – to assist with speech fluency (stuttering)
Ursula has vast experience in the following areas:
- Speech and Language Delays
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Fluency (Treatment of stuttering)
- Apraxia of Speech and Aphasia
- Social Interaction and Behavioural Management
- Food Aversions / Food Anxiety / Sensory-Textural Issues
- Safe Swallowing / Mealtime Support
Ursula believes every individual has the right to communicate. Her holistic and inclusive approach and use of evidence-based programs sees children and adults alike enjoy working toward their individual goals.